Student, 6, dies of Strep A infection after outbreak at school

A six-year-old pupil has died and another is being treated in hospital after an outbreak of an invasive bacteria at a primary school in Surrey.

The BBC reported that the students at Ashford Church of England Primary School were believed to be in the same year group, while the second child was recovering in hospital.

The broadcaster quoted the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) as saying the children had contracted the invasive group A streptococcal infection (iGAS), also known as Strep A, which causes scarlet fever.

Students and school staff have now been prescribed antibiotics.

Ruth Hutchinson, director of public health for Surrey County Council, said: “We are deeply saddened by the death of a pupil at Ashford Church of England School and we extend our sincere condolences to their family, friends and all of the school community who are in our thoughts. to be.”

Dr. Claire Winslade, UKHSA South East’s health protection adviser, reportedly said: “Information has been shared with parents about the signs and symptoms of iGAS, including a high fever with severe muscle aches, pain in any part of the body and unexplained vomiting or diarrhea. .”

Those with the above symptoms should call 911 immediately.

Leave a Comment