SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) – A judge has issued a restraining order against Puerto Rican superstar Ricky Martin, police said Saturday.
The warrant was signed on Friday and authorities visited an upscale neighborhood in the northern coastal town of Dorado where the singer lives to try and enforce the warrant, police spokesman Axel Valencia told The Associated Press.
“So far the police have not been able to find him,” Valencia said.
Martin’s publicist did not immediately return a message asking for comment.
It was not immediately known who had applied for the restraining order. Valencia said he was unable to provide further details because the warrant was filed under Puerto Rico’s domestic violence law.
El Vocero, a Puerto Rico newspaper, said the warrant stated that Martin and the other party separated for seven months. The report quotes the warrant as saying that they broke up two months ago, but the petitioner says Martin did not accept the divorce and was seen at least three times near the petitioner’s home.
“The petitioner fears for his safety,” El Vocero quoted the order as saying.
AP has not received a copy of the order.
Valencia said the injunction prohibits Martin from contacting or calling the person who filed it and a judge will determine at a later date during a hearing whether the injunction should remain in effect or be revoked. He added that orders are usually fulfilled for at least a month.
Valencia noted that the person who requested the restraining order did not contact the police, which allegedly led prosecutors to determine whether there was enough evidence to press charges. Instead, the request went straight to court.