It turns out that at least some players who have ditched the PGA Tour for the riches of the LIV Golf Series aren’t making a dime when it comes to their results on the lucrative yet controversial Saudi-backed circuit.
That bomb was unveiled Tuesday in U.S. district court in San Jose, California, where a federal judge denied a temporary restraining order for three players currently banned from the tour following their departure to LIV, the NY Post reports.
Watch LIVE coverage of The USPGA Tour with Fox Sports on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >
They wanted to play in the FedEx Cup Playoffs of the PGA Tour, which begin this week in Memphis.
During the hearing, a lawyer for LIV said that players’ earnings will be deducted from the advance they receive for their participation.
That means a $4 million check in first place essentially amounts to money a player has already paid for signing with the rival faction. The lawyer said that not every contract is the same, but also said that not all money is guaranteed before going ahead with the case.
That contradicts what an LIV official and some players have said so far.
When Brooks Koepka was pressed at the LIV tournament outside Portland, Oregon last month about whether a player’s winnings come from the signing bonus, the four-time major champion said, “That’s not — no. No.” When questioned again about the matter, he said, “No. I don’t know – it’s irrelevant.”
At the end of the Portland press conference, an LIV official in Portland at the time tried to clarify the matter.
“I just wanted to appeal” [the] ask earlier when you asked about the price exchanges and whether they are an addition to the contracts,” she said. “The price purses are in addition. There is no draw at LIV Golf in terms of finance,” she said. “We just wanted, on the record, it complements. And while you’ve done that, this is your first event, but you should know that from your contracts. You can attest. Thanks guys.”
That does not appear to be the case, according to one of LIV’s own lawyers.
This article originally appeared on the NY Post and is reproduced with permission.